Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lessons Learned: Surgery/Tests/Procedures



When I was a kid I never had a broken bone or any type of surgery. I still have my tonsils and my appendix. I got married when I was about 24 years old and BAM! It started with needing my wisdom teeth out and then we were off and rolling.

The past couple of years has been particularly challenging with health issues. I broke my ankle in June 2015. In the summer of 2016 I had a sprained lisfranc ligament in the same foot I broke. Recurring pain in my right wrist became too much to bear and I had a slightly torn ligament that required surgery in February 2016. Pain in the right wrist continued off and on throughout the year and eventually I convinced the doctor that my pisiform bone needed to come out. I had the same bone removed from my left wrist in 2013. That surgery was scheduled for October 2016. Just prior to the second wrist surgery I was still having pain in my left foot. I went back to my foot doctor and he said, "Oh yeah. That's a bunion." "How do you fix a bunion?" I asked incredulously. I had an idea of what the answer was going to be. "Surgery," was the response.

That was a bit much for me to handle at the time. I told him I would come back after the wrist surgery when I was ready to deal with it. A few weeks after surgery I returned and had him examine my foot again. This time I was ready to hear what he had to say. I agreed to bunion surgery - a bunionectomy - for January 2017.

This photo was taken Feb 5. Just chillin' with one shoe on.


Three surgeries in 11 months. I am ready to be done with crutches, braces, walking boots, shower chair. I have learned a few things over the years and I thought I would share those with you. Perhaps this could be helpful for yourself or someone you care about who may be facing a health challenge this year.

  1. Wear comfy clothes to and from the hospital.
  2. Leave valuables at home - jewelry, phone, cash.
  3. Give your ID, insurance card, credit card to the person who will be driving you home.
  4. Follow pre-op/procedure directions. If you’re not allowed to drink or eat anything the day of - DON’T DO IT! Coffee is a beverage. You can skip one cup.

Questions to ask
  • What exactly will you be doing?
  • What is the desired/expected outcome?
  • Is this a fix, a temporary fix or you’re not sure?
  • What is expected recovery time?
  • What can I expect in strength of pain afterwards?
  • What are my limitations if any?
  • When can I expect to get back to normal routine?
  • What will my follow up schedule with you be?
  • Are there any side effects? If so, what are they?

Do you have any tips or questions to share? I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you. Let me know what you think.